Author Topic: Advice for New Reviewers  (Read 904 times)

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Advice for New Reviewers
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:22 am »
First of all, let me just congratulate you on behalf of all reviewers for getting accepted and joining our ranks. It's not easy and I'm sure you had to work hard to accomplish this. Well, your hard work has finally paid off and you have a shiny new badge to show for it! However, this does not mean that your work is done. Nay, your work is just beginning. Here are a few things that you should know going into your first MS review:

I know you worked hard on your application review and I'm sure you did a very good job on it. However, the quality of each of your MS reviews must surpass that of your application. That is what is expected of all reviewers and this is what gets so many new reviewers run into trouble. They don't want to put in the same effort they put into their application. They don't realize that each MS review they post is 10x more important than their application review. It will judged even harsher than was your application so be ready.

You are allowed a sub-par review every now and then. Not everything you churn out will be your best work and we understand that. Just as long as your great reviews greatly outnumber your lesser ones then you won't have a problem.

Don't feel compelled to just keep churning out reviews. There is no set quota for reviews so just post them at your own leisurely pace. Posting just one a month is perfectly fine. I only post one every few months nowadays so that just shows you how lax we are in that department.

The games you review are totally up to you but we do expect you to review games of quality. Avoid art games, games with objects randomly strewn about, or any game with any of the words "sceptile", "justin beiber", or "kill" in the title. Other than that the world is your oyster, or so to speak. Oh, and obviously do not review your own games. That will get you in trouble very quickly.

Obviously, if you can not maintain a high quality in your reviews then you will be stripped of your badge. However, you will receive prior warning first from either me or another reviewer recruiter when you are in danger of losing your badge so you will have a chance to save yourself.

This is very important so I will put in bold: DO NOT SHARE YOUR ACCOUNT WITH YOUR REVIEWER BADGE WITH ANYBODY FOR ANY REASON. IF WE FIND YOU DOING THIS THEN YOU WILL LIKELY BE STRIPPED OF YOUR REVIEWER STATUS AS WELL AS ANY OTHER MS JOBS YOU MAY POSSESS. This is because we do not want non-staff members having access to MS powers.

Now that all of that is out of the way you now have my blessing to go out and begin your first official review if you so desire. Just remember what you have been taught here and by other reviewers and I'm sure that you will make for a great reviewer!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:42 am by Mechanism G »
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
This actually applies to all staff members, not just reviewers. This is just something that bears repeating as it is very important:

Now that you are a staff member you are no longer allowed to collaborate using your own account. If you wish to collaborate you will have to make the game on a separate account. Geoff takes the security of his staff members' accounts very seriously. He absolutely does NOT want non-staffers to have access to powers that they should not. If I or another recruiter find that you've violated this rule you will be warned once and only once. Do it again and you will lose your reviewer status, as well as any other badges you may have.
The Boogeyman is Coming.