Author Topic: Luigi's Advice to Make Your Reviews Better. (Read This if You Want to be a Reviewer!)  (Read 8523 times)

Offline gameraterz223

• Launcher
    • View Profile
Wow! I think that was why I was getting denied! I'll try again!

Offline gameraterz223

• Launcher
    • View Profile

Offline residentevilrocks

• Mortar
    • View Profile
Sorry. Here's my review

TITLE OF REVIEW: He made hell THAT scary!

Introduction
Firstly, I would like to review this game because I saw the user (which is electronicus) recommend this game to some people, including the .:|WD|:. thread, the [MR} thread, and more. Second, the user had a featured game before which is "Prehistory". I thought first that "Prehistory" didn't really impress me. It was actually pretty short. The cover of the game looks great, and nice. Which is why I'm starting to like this game from the outside. Games are actually pieces of entertainment. So if this entertains me, this game might get a good score.

Gameplay
When I played this, I lost about 4 or 5 times. For me, I think almost all was great. Electronicus did a really good job of making a game that has a touching storyline. From my perspective, touching stories usually add a great part to a game. Another special thing about this game that supported the touching stories was the music. Electronicus had chosen the perfect music for the level, which is like choosing the perfect suit for a businessman. Which is then after level 2, my heart was surprised because electronicus had made a masterpiece. Although, the hazards and the puzzles were a little low challenging. The challenging part about the hazards are the lavas, Thors. Some of the hazards don't really "SUIT IN HELL". Electronicus sometimes add thugs. Well, there might be an explanation for this. Thugs are bad, they are prisoners in hell. But it is not explained why they want to kill you. Well, from computer logic, it's because they are enemies. From MY logic, it's a little weird. Why not just change the thugs into snarleys? Snarleys are the type of enemies that "SUIT IN HELL". Especially Thors, they do. Although the other hazard of lava wasn't so bad. It was challenging. Other enemy hazard placements are good. A hazard in the game involving medic kits and lava was pretty creative. But it "DIDN'T FEEL LIKE IT". Decorations were great, I even think they are the best. I still think this is a masterpiece.

Conclusion
From my perspective, this is a great game, because it had great enemy placements, great decoration, also good creativity. The game was entertaining and also fun. It is like one of the games that require a strategy to win. Which requires thinking. Electronicus also supported a great story, which made me speechless right now.

Challenge: 7,5 / 10
The challenge of the game is pretty hard, but I managed to beat it after 4 or 5 times of losing

Item Placement: 7,5 / 10
The item placement was good, but had some weaknesses

Enemy Placement: 7,5 / 10
The enemy placement was also good, but had 2 weaknesses

Puzzles: 6 / 10
There weren't really many puzzles in the game.

Creativity: 9 / 10
Whenever Electronicus got the idea is probably his best time of his life for me...

OVERALL: 42,5 / 50
I gave five extra points because the game's specialty is the story, the touching story and the music, which was good.

This has been a review by residentevilrocks

• Mortar
    • View Profile
So what do you think?

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Posted By: residentevilrocksSo what do you think?
I'll look at a little later. Right now I'm dealing with the fact that cyclone got hacked again.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

• Mortar
    • View Profile
Did you read it yet? :/

Offline gameraterz223

• Launcher
    • View Profile
Posted By: residentevilrocksDid you read it yet? :/

I did! I like it!

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Posted By: gameraterz223

I did! I like it!
Unfortunately, this is not your thread. Either way, just saying that you liked it doesn't help him one bit.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

• Mortar
    • View Profile
Posted By: superluigi77

I did! I like it!
Unfortunately, this is not your thread. Either way, just saying that you liked it doesn't help him one bit.

So do you like it, superluigi77?

Offline gameraterz223

• Launcher
    • View Profile

I did! I like it!

I was just saying. Sorry about that.

• Mortar
    • View Profile
I'm already guessing that superluigi77 didn't like it because he didn't answer... :(

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
First of all, I don't think you ever mentioned the name of the game. Another thing that stood out to me was that when you gave your explanations of your grades you said: "Item Placement: 7,5 / 10
There weren't really many puzzles in the game."

What you should have done was explain what these weaknesses are. You can't just expect us to take your word for it that these weaknesses exist. Same with the puzzles. Always give examples to back up your opinions. This is especially important in the body of your review. Don't just say why something was good or bad. Tell us why it was so by citing an example to back up your opinion.

You seem to try to segue between topics, which is good, but your thoughts still seemed to be a little scattered. You seem to have found your writing voice. Good. Very good. The review had that casual feel that I like. You were also very descriptive. Descriptions are always good. After reading the review I had something of a mental picture of what the game looks like. That's always a good sign.

You have potential. Take my advice to heart, clean up some grammatical and spelling errors and you will be well on your way to writing a good review.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Posted By: residentevilrocksI'm already guessing that superluigi77 didn't like it because he didn't answer... :(
I take a while to respond because I give a lot of advice.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

• Mortar
    • View Profile
Posted By: superluigi77First of all, I don't think you ever mentioned the name of the game. Another thing that stood out to me was that when you gave your explanations of your grades you said: "Item Placement: 7,5 / 10
There weren't really many puzzles in the game."

What you should have done was explain what these weaknesses are. You can't just expect us to take your word for it that these weaknesses exist. Same with the puzzles. Always give examples to back up your opinions. This is especially important in the body of your review. Don't just say why something was good or bad. Tell us why it was so by citing an example to back up your opinion.

You seem to try to segue between topics, which is good, but your thoughts still seemed to be a little scattered. You seem to have found your writing voice. Good. Very good. The review had that casual feel that I like. You were also very descriptive. Descriptions are always good. After reading the review I had something of a mental picture of what the game looks like. That's always a good sign.

You have potential. Take my advice to heart, clean up some grammatical and spelling errors and you will be well on your way to writing a good review.

ok. Thanks for the opinion. Maybe in the next hour, I'll edit some parts in the review, until you think it's good. Then, it's ready to be published in Emp's Thread.

Offline masterx22

• Mortar
    • View Profile
*bookmarts thread*

A few mounths ago, i had the perfect review. I checked over it about 20 times, And tweaked it a bit. Right before i pressed the "add you comments" button, my internet messed up, deleteing all the work....

Im probley ganna make another review soon, and if that happens agian, im throwing this *beep* computer off the empire state building.

Offline masterx22

• Mortar
    • View Profile
Also, epic guide.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube

I did! I like it!

I was just saying. Sorry about that.
I'm very serious in this thread. Because of your comment I added a new rule on the first page, saying that only mainsite reviewers can give advice. I don't want my pupils to be deluded by bad advice.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

• Mortar
    • View Profile
TITLE OF REVIEW: He made hell THAT scary!

Introduction
I am going to review "Hell" by electronicus. Firstly, I would like to review this game because I saw electronicus recommended this game to some people, including the .:|WD|:. thread, the [MR] thread, and more. Second, the user had a featured game before which is "Prehistory". I thought first that "Prehistory" didn't really impress me. It was actually pretty short. The cover of the game looks great, and nice. Which is why I'm starting to like this game from the outside. Games are actually pieces of entertainment. So if this entertains me, this game might get a good score.

Gameplay
When I played this, I lost about 4 or 5 times. For me, I think almost all was great. Electronicus did a really good job of making a game that has a touching storyline. From my perspective, touching stories usually add a great part to a game. Another special thing about this game that supported the touching stories was the music. Electronicus had chosen the perfect music for the level, which is like choosing the perfect suit for a businessman. Which is then after level 2, my heart was surprised because electronicus had made a masterpiece. Although, the hazards and the puzzles were a little low challenging. The challenging part about the hazards are the lavas, Thors. Some of the hazards don't really "SUIT IN HELL". Electronicus sometimes add thugs. Well, there might be an explanation for this. Thugs are bad, they are prisoners in hell. But it is not explained why they want to kill you. Well, from computer logic, it's because they are enemies. From MY logic, it's a little weird. Why not just change the thugs into snarleys? Snarleys are the type of enemies that "SUIT IN HELL". Especially Thors, they do. If electronicus had done that, more feeling would be deeply added to the game, making it both entertainment and art, not like unexplainable things like penguins in Egypt. Although the other hazard of lava wasn't so bad. It was challenging. Other enemy hazard placements are good. A hazard in the game involving medic kits and lava was pretty creative. But it isn't really "suitable" for a game. If it isn't really "suitable", the addictiveness of playing the game goes down. Although, the decorations were great, electronicus proved that he can use decorations and blocks to make hell. He put the perfect tile for hell, which is the red tile. Another great decoration was when falling to the tunnel in level 2, which really does feel like falling into sin. Lastly, but not least, after some 8 levels of butt-kicking action, you experience a great refreshing reward, and the music suits the level too!

Conclusion
From my perspective, this is a great game, because it had great enemy placements, great decoration, also good creativity. The game was entertaining and also fun. It is like one of the games that require a strategy to win. Which requires thinking. Electronicus also supported a great story, which made me speechless right now.

Challenge: 7,5 / 10
The challenge of the game is pretty hard, but I managed to beat it after 4 or 5 times of losing.

Item Placement: 7,5 / 10
The item placement was a little too many, so an advice to electronicus would be decreasing some of the medic kits and the lives.

The enemy placement was also good, but some of the enemies didn't suit the level, especially the thugs and the robots. The others suit the level and is good-looking.

Puzzles: 5 / 10
There weren't really many puzzles in the game, and the puzzles weren't really challenging too...

Creativity: 9 / 10
Whenever Electronicus got the idea is probably his best time of his life for me...

OVERALL: 41,5 / 50
Five extra points were given by me because the game's specialty is the story, the touching story and the music, which was good.

This has been a review by residentevilrocks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:30 am by residentevilrocks »

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Bump

@Resident  I will look at your revised review later. I'm a bit preoccupied at the moment.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline GFz Ponies

• Soldier
  • Disruptor
  • Magical Ponies
    • View Profile
Want to run my thread with me please? I see your's is more active but I need someone to run mine with. Will you please?
xEddge

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Posted By: okkenyWant to run my thread with me please? I see your's is more active but I need someone to run mine with. Will you please?
You are welcome to post advice on mine. I welcome all reviewers to give advice here. No offense intended, but I want to keep my advice in the thread with my name in it. I put a lot of effort into and I want to continue to put a lot of effort into it.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
The Boogeyman is Coming.

• Mortar
    • View Profile
So you like the review??

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
posted by: residentevilrocksThe item placement was good, but some power-ups don't "FEEL" like it and it was a little too many power-ups. What made this go down to 7,5 was an obstacle involving lava and medic kit which is common in some games, and didn't really exactly "FEEL" like it.
This statement confused me. Care to clarify it a bit for me?
The Boogeyman is Coming.

• Mortar
    • View Profile
posted by: residentevilrocksThe item placement was good, but some power-ups don't "FEEL" like it and it was a little too many power-ups. What made this go down to 7,5 was an obstacle involving lava and medic kit which is common in some games, and didn't really exactly "FEEL" like it.
This statement confused me. Care to clarify it a bit for me?

I changed it already. Whaddaya' think? :D

Offline Rooney

• Soldier
  • Mortar
    • View Profile

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Posted By: residentevilrocksPuzzles: 6 / 10
There weren't really many puzzles in the game, that's the only thing I can think of.
If there weren't many puzzles, how come you gave the game such a high puzzle score?
The Boogeyman is Coming.

• Mortar
    • View Profile
Posted By: residentevilrocksPuzzles: 6 / 10
There weren't really many puzzles in the game, that's the only thing I can think of.
If there weren't many puzzles, how come you gave the game such a high puzzle score?

Good one. I'll give it a 5 / 10 because there were some puzzles but not challenging and not enough. What else should I improve?

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
The line you used about games being pieces of entertainment, I'm pretty sure grant used the same line a little while back in a friendly debate with elgamer. This could be a coincidence, but it brings to a cautionary tale I'm sure you've heard about gamecreater17 and the dangers of plagiarism. What he did was copy younguns' (Youngcaliman. It's the nickname we agreed on.) review in the reviewer recruitment thread. This got him banned for life from the thread, meaning he can never be a ms reviewer. If you plagiarize in real life the consequences could be much worse. I'm not saying that you plagiarized that line, I just this as a good opportunity to warn you against it.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

• Mortar
    • View Profile
Posted By: superluigi77The line you used about games being pieces of entertainment, I'm pretty sure grant used the same line a little while back in a friendly debate with elgamer. This could be a coincidence, but it brings to a cautionary tale I'm sure you've heard about gamecreater17 and the dangers of plagiarism. What he did was copy younguns' (Youngcaliman. It's the nickname we agreed on.) review in the reviewer recruitment thread. This got him banned for life from the thread, meaning he can never be a ms reviewer. If you plagiarize in real life the consequences could be much worse. I'm not saying that you plagiarized that line, I just this as a good opportunity to warn you against it.

Do you think I would be banned submitting this review?