Author Topic: Luigi's Advice to Make Your Reviews Better. (Read This if You Want to be a Reviewer!)  (Read 8524 times)

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Luigi's Advice for a Better Review

I'm writing this for everybody who wants to become a mainsite reviewer, a reviewer for a particular center, or just in general want to make your reviews better. Pay attention because I'm only going to say, or rather type, this once.

Because I don't know for sure what Empoleon or any of the review center recruiters look for in a review, I can't promise that you will be accepted by them. To a certain extent, a good review is in the eye of the beholder. I can promise that if you follow my advice you will know how to not write a bad review.

The first thing you all should know is that there is no secret recipe to writing a good review. There just isn't. There are certain things that a good review does and doesn't have, but don't think if all of your reviews include this, that, some of those, a few of these, and a pinch of this that they will all be good. If that's what you think then you can stop reading now and go back to the discussions page. Now this brings me to my first point...

Find Your Voice

What does this mean? It means write with style. It means writing to keep the readers attention. Writing a review is about voicing your opinion about the thing you are reviewing, in this case a game. Since it is your opinion you don't need to write objectively. So don't write objectively. Your review shouldn't sound like it was written by a computer. (Thrash, you can ignore this next part.) Be yourself in your reviews. Write it the way you would say it out loud, as if you were having a conversation with somebody. Just be casual. Doing this well can make your reviews a lot more interesting. This is something that came relatively easy to me because writing is just something that I am good at. I have a natural writing voice. This isn't something that can be taught. You must develop your voice on your own. Like with everything else, practice makes perfect.

Structuring Your Reviews

How you structure your review is your own choice. I like to structure mine like this:

~Introduction~

(Paragraph explaining perhaps why I chose to review this game, my initial thoughts of the game, etc. If I'm doing a review for a center or I'm reviewing a certain kind of game for the first time I will point it out at the beginning of this paragraph. I may even talk about the game's creator. Basically, any relevant background information about the game, the creator, or me can go here.)

~Game Play~

(I talk about the gist game. I let people know just what makes this game unique. I try to include information about enemies, items, puzzles, if the game has any, the game's design or anything about the game that stands out to me. Now, I don't just talk about these things. I also give my opinions on them. One of the most important things I can tell you is to always use examples. Don't just say that enemy placement was good, but they could have done better. Explain why you think that. I will talk about this a little more later. Another important point to make here is that I don't write a walkthrough of the game. Writing a review that is simply a walkthrough of the game is the cardinal sin of game reviewing. For one thing it's not really reviewing the game. Secondly, a walkthrough can give away things about a game that the game's creator may not want revealed. They include *SPOILER ALERT* spoilers.  If I ever include a walkthrough in my review it is of a small portion of the game. Usually they aren't even really walkthroughs, it's just me getting very detailed. There is a difference between between very detailed and writing a walkthrough.)

~Conclusion~

(Here I write my final thoughts. I give my final opinions on the enemy placement, item placement, puzzles, how challenging the game was, etc. Here I don't need to cite example because I've already done that in the previous section. This paragraph doesn't need to be very long. It just sums up my overall impression of the game.)

~Report Card~

(Here I give grades on 5 criteria: Challenge, item placement, enemy placement, puzzles, and creativity. I usually give each category a score out of 5, then I add them all up for a final score out of 25.)

That is just how I like to structure my reviews. How you structure your review it totally up to you. There is no one correct way to do it. I like to keep it simple, I think that is the best way to do it. That is just my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 06:27 pm by superluigi77 »
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Paint a Picture

I touched on this before. Include details in your reviews. Cite examples to back up your opinions. If I read a review of a game that I have never played or seen and afterward I don't have at least something of a mental image of the game, then I know that I have just read a bad review. If after I have read a review I can see the game in my mind, at least a little bit, then I probably read a quality review. However, there is such thing as too much detail. You don't need to describe every nook and cranny of the game. You just need to go into enough detail to back up your opinions and to let the reader know just what the game is all about.

Don't be Overcritical

Some people like to find any excuse to criticize a game. There are somethings for which you can't criticize a game for any reason. These are things that are purely the option of the creator, such as a game's color scheme, a game's background, a game's music or lack thereof, or a game's story or lack thereof. These things can make a game more enjoyable if used well, but they are all the choices of the creator. You can't say a game was bad because you didn't like the colors the creator chose. You especially can't say a game was made worse for a lack of a music. Honestly, that's just a dumb thing to say, so don't say it.

That's all the advice I can think of at the moment. If anything else comes to me I will be sure to add to my guide. For now I will be happy to answer any questions you may have or to critique reviews. Beware though: I will be brutally honest.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:16 pm by superluigi77 »
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
My only rules for this thread are  a) that only mainsite reviewers give advice. I don't want my pupils to be contaminated by faulty advice. and  b) Anybody who posts a review that wasn't written by themselves is permanently banned from this thread. No questions asked. c) Posting of spam or OT posts can result in a ban.

Banned Users
probe5
gamecreater17

Links to Other Useful Places

Go Here to Learn How to Become an Editor.
Go Here to Request a User to be Banned.
Go Here to Learn How to Become a Reviewer. (Tell brocky I sent you!)
Go Here to Learn about MSMs and How to Become One.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:18 pm by superluigi77 »
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Posted By: superluigi77Reserved
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline YoungCaliman

• Centipede
  • I THINK IM FUNNEH
    • View Profile
This is actually very well written as I skim through it

Posted By: superluigi77
Luigi's Advice for a Better Review

I'm writing this for everybody who wants to become a mainsite reviewer, a reviewer for a particular center, or just in general want to make your reviews better. Pay attention because I'm only going to say, or rather type, this once.

Favorite part, the beginning, lol.
It's good to be Young.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Posted By: YoungcalimanThis is actually very well written as I skim through it.
It should be, it took me 2 hours to write it all. I actually gave this a lot of thought.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
It occurs to me that I can't really call this a guide to writing good reviews. It's all but impossible to teach someone how to write a good review. This is more of a guide to avoid writing a bad review.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline residentevilrocks

• Mortar
    • View Profile
Now I know why I get denied. I use the same words all over again, making the review itself boring.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Posted By: residentevilrocksNow I know why I get denied. I use the same words all over again, making the review itself boring.
Exactly. A good review is almost as entertaining as it is informative. Monotony is the enemy of enjoyment. Now, don't go overboard on the entertaining. Don't forget that the primary purpose of these reviews is to be informative.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:00 am by superluigi77 »
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline nitrogendioxide

• Soldier
  • Mortar
  • Christian, Protestant.
    • View Profile
Posted By: residentevilrocksNow I know why I get denied. I use the same words all over again, making the review itself boring.
Exactly. A good review is almost as entertaining as it is informative. Monotony is the enemy of enjoyment.

Some reviews use the word "Game" to much.
The reason why some people play computer games or go on forums is this; the judgement is sound. In real life, people judge you by your looks and by everything unfairly, but virtually, it is all about your personality. It is so easy to fake your personality virtually, so it's easy to become popular.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Posted By: nitrogendioxide
Exactly. A good review is almost as entertaining as it is informative. Monotony is the enemy of enjoyment.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. It just depends when/how the word is being used. You also have to take into consideration that the word "Game" has precious few synonyms and that the writer probably doesn't want to have to repeat the name of the game too many times.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:06 am by superluigi77 »
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline nitrogendioxide

• Soldier
  • Mortar
  • Christian, Protestant.
    • View Profile

That's not necessarily a bad thing. It just depends how the word is being used.

I guess so, but it sounds repeditive.
The reason why some people play computer games or go on forums is this; the judgement is sound. In real life, people judge you by your looks and by everything unfairly, but virtually, it is all about your personality. It is so easy to fake your personality virtually, so it's easy to become popular.

Offline Omega

• Godzillasaurus
  • Soldier
  • Mogura
  • Rawr, I'm a dinosaur.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
I think my parents would be mad if I painted on my computer screen :/

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube

That misspelling of "repetitive" reminded me of something:

Grammar and spelling are very important in reviews. If you misspell things or use incorrect grammar it makes you look unprofessional and makes your opinions seem a little less valid. This is why empoleon will automatically deny you if you have spelling/grammatical errors.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Posted By: OmegaI think my parents would be mad if I painted on my computer screen :/
That's why we have Microsoft Paint.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline nitrogendioxide

• Soldier
  • Mortar
  • Christian, Protestant.
    • View Profile

Grammar and spelling are very important in reviews. If you misspell things or use incorrect grammar it makes you look unprofessional and makes your opinions seem a little less valid. This is why empoleon will automatically deny you if you have spelling/grammatical errors.

Umm.. You're welcome. :P

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube

Umm.. You're welcome. :P
If we didn't have people who misspell things, then the people who don't misspell things would seem a little less smart. You make us all smarter.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:16 am by superluigi77 »
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Bump. (I worked hard on this. I'm not letting it slip into oblivion.)
The Boogeyman is Coming.

• Mortar
    • View Profile
I'm gonna' post a review here and you tell me what you think of it.

Offline swallowthesun

• Heavy Cruiser
  • Emperor Napoleon I
    • View Profile
Luigi. You always have awesome advice.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
This probably didn't occur to anybody, but the title of this thread was the first time I've ever called myself Luigi.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Posted By: residentevilrocksI'm gonna' post a review here and you tell me what you think of it.
You do that. I live to serve and serve to live.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

• Mortar
    • View Profile
Posted By: residentevilrocksI'm gonna' post a review here and you tell me what you think of it.

What do you mean?

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Posted By: residentevilrocks

What do you mean?
It was just one of my funny lines. Don't worry 'bout it. Just post your review.
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
Posted By: superluigi77Bump. (I worked hard on this. I'm not letting it slip into oblivion.)
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline Superluigi77

• The Young Wolf
  • Bugmeister
  • Be Heroic
    • View Profile
    • Best of Youtube
The Boogeyman is Coming.

Offline sploderboy17

• Turret
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:09 pm by sploderboy17 »