Author Topic: Physics Puzzle Strategy and Help Guide  (Read 592 times)

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
Physics Puzzle Strategy and Help Guide
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:02 am »
PHYSICS PUZZLE THEORIES

This is based on 7Grant2's Platformer Theory Guide.

Welcome to the guide for the most complex game creator (The reason this is also a help guide) on Sploder.com: The physics puzzle creator. This being the most recent addition to the family of creators, most people are still getting used to it. Compared to the likes of the Platformer and 3D, this is much harder to make, but succeeding in making a great game on this creator would most likely be more rewarding than making a great game on the Shooter or whatever. If you are puzzled or anything in your attempt to create one of these games, come to this guide! It will explain the basics and the not so basics. Anyway, let us get straight to the point.(Note: As this creator is new, I may make a few mistakes.)

Contents:
Part 1: Help
Basics
Goals
Enemies and Hazards
Genre

Part 2: Strategy
Difficulty
Fun
Starting your Game

Item Guide

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 02:25 am by babybuster4ever »

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 05:03 am »
Basics:

Okay. So these are the basics you will need to know before starting a game. You could of course do the tour, as this is much like it, but this will be much easier to understand, plus you can just ask me if you don't understand anything.  K, lets get started.
As soon as you open up the creator, you will notice many different tabs. You click on one. MORE TABS! You must be pretty confused. But never fear, my guide is here! Right, as you look to the top-left, you will notice a set of 5 different tabs. I will explain them in order.
1: This is possibly the most important thing in this whole creator: The drawing tool. This is what you use to create your items and whatnot. You should notice a cicle or a square or somekind of shape in the first box to the right. This is what shape you are drawing. Next to that is a blue box with a squiggly line in it. This is the physics box as I like to call it. Hover over each option in this to find out what it does. Next is the material option. This is what items will do when they hit the ground, are touched, etc. Finally we have what I call the 'strength' box. This will decide if a block is indestructable, extremely brittle, etc.

2: This is the editor tool. This allows you to move objects by clicking and dragging, Resize them by clicking on the little bar, deleting, etc. This can also make items goals and hazards, which will be explained in depth later. You may notice a lock. This can stop a chosen item from falling in-game. Next to that is an option which allows you to add sensor layers for a sensor link and other stuff. Next is the little flag (It will be explained later) and then the option to group. To do this, Click on one object, then hold shift and click on another object. Release shift and click on this option. This is a very useful item.

3: While and object is clicked this will be the exact same as 2. If not, this will allow you to edit the playfield backround and that kinda stuff. This section isn't to confusing so I will let you work it out for yourselves.

4: This is just for scenery, so  a massive paragraph isn't neccesary. In this tab you can overlap objects, make jaggy edges and make it transparent.

5:  This is pretty simple. You just edit things here.

Now onto the 4 tabs to your left: Prefab, Physics, Controls and Widgets. This, thank god, doesn't need a million words to explain. Prefab is for anyone who doesn't understand the rest of the creator. Physics allow you to edit the motion of all items  in the game. So basically you are their overlord as long as you have this. Controls allow you to add controls (duh) to characters. Again, you're their overlord. Finally, comes Widgets. These babies make speshal fings happun! :D
Hopefully you understood that. Onto the next part of the guide...

Also, since everyone has been asking this, to make a sensor event happen, you must add a sensor layer to the object and add the SAME Layer to your character.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:45 am by babybuster4ever »

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 05:03 am »
Goals:

Okay, now I will be showing you how to create goals for your game. This isn't hard at all once you know what to do, but when you start off is very confusing. Hopefully I will give you enough help to be able to do this easily after reading. Also, remember just ask any question you don't understand. Lets just get to the point.

First, you need to draw a square. Or triangle. Or circle. Or whatever shape you want. JUST DRAW A SHAPE. Next, you will need to change the amount of points to win the game (You don't have to do this, but it would be smart as it would prevent you from repeating these steps 10 times). Finally, go to the edit box. Click on your soon-to-be goal, and click the flag. Then choose the option to make it give points upon whatever. REMEMBER IF YOU USE CRUSH TO MAKE IT CRUSHABLE.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:26 am by babybuster4ever »

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 05:03 am »
Enemies And Hazards:

This is another potentially confusing aspect in the Physics creator: Enemies and Hazards. In this creator, unlike others, these are pretty much the same thing. While other creators had moving enemies with AI, enemies in this are just hazards moving across a line. I will show you how to make these.

First, obviously, draw a shape. Then, like the goal, go to the edit tab. Click on the flag and an option which will make you lose a life. I suggest On Sensor. Then, to add the finishing touches, click on the final tab. Click the third tab: A grey box. Click there and select the image you want. That's how you make a hazard. NOTE: THE CHARACTER MUST BE ON THE SAME SENSOR LINK.

To make an enemy, do the exact same as hazard, except most likely you would choose a different image and you most likely want this to move. Simply drag a Groove onto it. Done. Kthx.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:55 am by babybuster4ever »

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 05:03 am »
Genre

As this is still new, not much is known about what it can do. But, seeing as the name is physics puzzle (And the fact I have made a game with a puzzle) I wouldn't doubt puzzle is one. I will list them.

Action:
I imagine in this conversion of all other creators, in this popular Genre you would have to be dodging many hazards and enemies to reach the goal. This may be much harder to make in this creator than the others seeing as it is mainly made of enemies and in this creator you have to create your own enemies.

Puzzle:
This is one that has been around since Sploder started, like the above Genre. This, obviously, will be the most compatible genre with this creator. This involves the player having to think about the way round (METAPHORICALLY NOT LITERALLY) an obstacle (ALSO A METAPHOR) set by the creator of the game (NOT A METAPHOR).

Minigame:
This is a Genre that, although has been here a while, was never very popular. But now, with this creator, I expect it will be much more popular, mainly due to the fact that the playing field is much smaller so, even if not deliberate, you might end up making one of these games.

Maze:
A semi-popular type, this Genre may be spoiled by the fact that the Physics Puzzle, while it does have an option for it, shows the whole playing field.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:16 am by babybuster4ever »

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 05:03 am »
Difficulty

Want to make a hard game? Want to get it featured? Because, chances are, no one is gonna feature an easy game. Here I will explain to y'all how to make a hard game.

For starters, test it often. You might think it looks really hard, but then you publish it and find out (a) It's impossible, or (b) It's REALLY easy. And before you say, 'No way! This'll never happen to me!', Trust me. It will. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But, someday, you are going to make a would-be feature worthy game, manage to get an editor to check it out, but then shot down by the fact it isn't possible. Trust me. If you don't do this, that's gonna happen.

Next, make sure there are at least a few puzzles. If not, someone is probably going to come along and walk straight through it. Try and come up with your own; it makes a game MUCH more exciting. If you only use old ones, everyone will know them and crush your dreams.

They are just the basics. I can't ask for your password and make you a game which'll get featured and put into the EGL (I couldn't do that for myself anyway lol), you gotta do it yourself. Find your own may. Kthxbai
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:27 am by babybuster4ever »

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 05:15 am »
Fun

Fun. Yes, that's right, fun. Who cares if a game is packed with a million and one brand new puzzles if it isn't fun (Even though it probably would be lulz)? No one. Here I will give you some tips to making a fun game.

Beta Testers. Just because it's fun to you doesn't mean it's fun to others. Beta Testers will help you determine what other people think of it.

Don't make it TOO hard. Newbs won't want to play a game, and, since the majority of Sploder is newbs, your game won't be very popular. You could still have the satisfaction of it being popular among non-newbs, though.

As I said with difficulty, I can't make you a good game creator. Only you can do that. So, you will have to find your own way. These are only tips.

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 05:17 am »
Starting your game

Yeah, this is a whole section on how to start your game. You probably think I'm a nutter, attempting to do this. But I believe it is quite important. Most people don't have trouble starting their game. But, think about this: most people don't have features ;)

For any other perfectionists out there, this is a little help for you.

Right. Before you start your game, think about what Genre it's going to be. Minigame? Puzzle? Action? You need to think about this before you start.

Next think about your character. What is it going to be? A ship? A person? All good question.

Finally, think about the length. Is it going to be a nine level blockbuster or a quick one level?

That is about as much help as I can give you. Like I said all those times, only you can make it a good game.

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 05:21 am »
If you are confused about what the item do, here's a quick guide to what they do.
Motor: Rotates an item around. Beware: If you don't have the physics motion set on th pinwheel style, it will roll around.
Bouncer: Pushes items that hit it away. Give the object with this an ablillity (Lose life, point, etc) to work when touched.
Pinjoint: Connects 2 objects together.
Groove: Moves an object along a path.
Spring T: Bounces small path but faster than Spring L.
Spring L: Bonces long path but slower than Spring T.
GearJoint: Mirrors the movement of the object originaly placed with it.
Rotator: Gives you control of rotating an item.
Mover: Pushes an object up by using the keyboard
Slider: Pushes an object left and right by using the keyboard.
Jumper: Allows you to jump by using the keyboard.
Selector: Allow only one object at a time by clicking it.
Adder: Adds a copy of the object to the game by spacebar
Launcher: Bounces object towards where you clicked
Aimer: Aims an object toward the mouse
Dragger: Allows an object to be dragged by the mouse
Elevator: Moves an object back and forth towards a groove joint.
Spawner: Adds a copy of the object at a specific interval.
Connect: Connets 2 objects. The objects do not collide.
Factory: Basically a double spawner
EventLink: Triggers sensor event.
Switcher: Changes the direction of a elevator or mover randomly.
E-Magnet: Turns an object into a magnet controllable with spacebar.
Pointer: Changes the direction of an object to point at your character.
Thruster: Thrusts the object it is attached in into the direction pointing with the specified speed (length of the thruster object) when a specified key is pressed.
Propeller: Same than Thruster but does it all the time: no key is pressed.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:10 pm by babybuster4ever »

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 05:25 am »
Teleporters

An aspect of the game which many have asked about; well here I am to help. Right, this is a very complex thing which may take you a while to understand. If this is the case I have a prefab made. To get this, just whisper. Anyway, to make the teleporter:

Right. Create an object and give it (just for the sake of learning) the 'Club' sensor layer. And the controls you want it for, and split the board with a rectangle (lock it, of course). Now create and lock an object and also give it the club sensor layer. Next copy your character. Now add a spawner and set it to a single spawn. Add unlock on sensor. Now put and event link on the object made previously, and link it to the character. Next just simply draw an object and lock it (it will have no purpose other than disguising what actually it happening). O EM GEE! YOU JJUST MADE A TELEPORTER! :O
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:59 am by babybuster4ever »

Offline CG

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 07:41 am »
Great guide!

Offline Danny168

• Mortar
  • RANDOM MINECRAFT FART
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 07:42 am »
How can you make the character able to collect coins?
Herro! Occasionally online. :D

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 07:44 am »
Posted By: Danny168How can you make the character able to collect coins?
You cannot collect them. Coins are simply items which are generally used as shapes to give you points. By using the censor option, it will seem as though you collected them.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:44 am by babybuster4ever »

Offline littlemittle

• Disruptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 07:53 am »
Good guide, but add what can be done with the items.

Offline Spellmage

• Dr. King Shulz
  • Mogura
  • I am the milkman, my milk is deliscious
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 07:55 am »
Posted By: babybuster4ever
You cannot collect them. Coins are simply items which are generally used as shapes to give you points. By using the censor option, it will seem as though you collected them.
Actually, you can create them, but their is no *add* button.
#WCGP

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 07:55 am »
Posted By: littlemittleGood guide, but add what can be done with the items.
I was gonna do that, but decided it'd be too much work lol. I'll get working on it after lunch :P

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 07:56 am »
Posted By: spellmage
Actually, you can create them, but their is no *add* button.
Yeah. What I meant was that you don't actually collect them, just use them.

Offline Neutralization

• Disruptor
  • Inactive. Got a grip of better games.
    • View Profile
    • FrozenViili Studios
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 08:01 am »
How does Launcher, Aimer, Jumper etc work?

Mainsite: | Forums: Send a PM to me!

Offline deathpuzzler

• Mortar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 08:03 am »
How Do You Make A Brick Explode When Your Character Touches It?

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 08:05 am »
Posted By: NeutralizationHow does Launcher, Aimer, Jumper etc work?
This will be explained in a part I am making.

Posted By: deathpuzzlerHow Do You Make A Brick Explode When Your Character Touches It?
Check Enemies and Hazards

Offline Neutralization

• Disruptor
  • Inactive. Got a grip of better games.
    • View Profile
    • FrozenViili Studios
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 08:20 am »
Also how do you make an object copy when something happens? Is there a flag for this?

Mainsite: | Forums: Send a PM to me!

Offline CG

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 08:30 am »
How do you make the enemy make other people lose health? I followed your steps and it doesn't work.

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 08:34 am »
Posted By: CreatingamesHow do you make the enemy make other people lose health? I followed your steps and it doesn't work.
It should

Posted By: NeutralizationAlso how do you make an object copy when something happens? Is there a flag for this?
Dunno :P

Offline CG

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 08:38 am »
Posted By: CreatingamesHow do you make the enemy make other people lose health? I followed your steps and it doesn't work.
It should

Posted By: NeutralizationAlso how do you make an object copy when something happens? Is there a flag for this?
Dunno :P

I added in the shape, then click on the flag then lose a life with sensor, then added in a face for it, then add in a groove - doesn't work.

Offline CG

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 08:46 am »
Do I have to add a sensor into the character or something?

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 08:47 am »
Posted By: CreatingamesDo I have to add a sensor into the character or something?
Try when crushed. But remember to make it crushable

Offline CG

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 08:50 am »
Posted By: CreatingamesDo I have to add a sensor into the character or something?

How do I make it crushable, enemies and hazards?

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 08:54 am »
Posted By: Creatingames

How do I make it crushable, enemies and hazards?
Click the flag

Offline babybuster4ever

• Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 08:57 am »
@neutra I believe it may be adder.

Offline CG

• Soldier
  • Centipede
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 08:57 am »
So I ticked the box for crush and lose a life on the character and the hazard - is this right?